Planning a Fall or Winter Honeymoon?
Fall is perhaps the most popular time for couples to get married and as much fun as it is planning the wedding, for most it is even more exciting deciding where to go for the honeymoon. As the evenings begin to get chillier, as winter fast approaches, it is a fantastic time for a honeymoon somewhere warm, like Mexico or some place in the Caribbean. If you’re one of these lucky soon to be newlyweds the time for decision making is now.
Choosing a Honeymoon Destination
There are so many beautiful places to choose from in both regions. The first step is to narrow your choices, before you even begin thinking about accommodation options. Of course, there are those destinations that are known for their romantic qualities and their popularity as honeymoon destinations.
Places like Cancun, the Cayman Islands, Saint Martin, Barbados, and Cabos San Lucas – just to name a few… But if you and your spouse are looking for a destination that is unique and possibly off the beaten path, there are many terrific options in Mexico and the Caribbean. Below are descriptions of two such places in each region that will give you some food for thought.
Two Perfect Honeymoon Destinations in Mexico
While most of the more popular honeymoon destinations in Mexico involve sandy beaches and long walks along the coast there are some lovely places to visit that are inland. These cities are usually characterized by a historic quaintness that the busy beach towns have replaced with more modernity as tourism increased. San Miguel de Allende and Guanjuato are both such places.
- San Miguel de Allende – Although it still maintains its enchanting historic charm, San Miguel de Allende does provide for a modern experience when it comes to dining and amenities. The city is a haven of five-star restaurants and world-class hotels amidst a backdrop of original cobblestone streets and older homes and buildings. It is a large city, that offers no shortage of activities. Cultural festivals are often held her during the year. It has also been deemed the “most beautiful town in Mexico.” If that isn’t reason enough to toss it around as an option then surely the food, art, and culture will push it over the edge.
- Guanjuato – Guanjuato is another mesmerizing city in Mexico that doesn’t receive enough attention. The bright colored colonial architecture and cobblestone streets make the traveler feel like he/she has not only traveled to another destination but to another era as well. The city is by no means small and constantly provides its locals and visitors with activities, including a very esteemed international art festival every year. There are also many great museums and ample opportunity to enjoy the outdoors.
Both cities are listed as UNESCO World Heritage sites and are well worth going to, just for the history. Add to that, the fine dining and luxurious accommodations and you have yourself the perfect honeymoon destination.
Two Fantastic Honeymoon Destinations in the Caribbean
There are too many beautiful places in the Caribbean to count and going to any one of them would make for a perfect honeymoon. Some of the less known places offer a unique experience, and one worth forgoing the popular tourist destinations for.
Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker are both prime choices and ones you may want to consider for your honeymoon.
- Ambergris Caye – Belize is no doubt famous for romantic vacations but there are many different islands that make up the region so even after deciding on Belize the work is not done. That is, until you discover the spectacular island of Ambergris Caye, the largest of the islands. Here you will find a casino, a mountain range to explore, and more five-star restaurants than you can count. The turquoise waters, white sand beaches, and endless things to see and do on the island will truly leave you wanting for more when it’s time to go home.
- Caye Caulker – Also part of Belize, Caye Caulker has many of the same things to offer but amidst much more un-touched surroundings. If you want the crystal-clear waters and soft sand under your feet without the chaos of a bigger city, then Caye Caulker would be the better option for you. There is still plenty to do, particularly when it comes to water activities and fine dining, but with less people and more nature, and ultimately more time and privacy for the two of you.
Many honeymooners decide on the Caribbean to celebrate their vows but that doesn’t mean you have to go where everyone else does. Both of these islands offer exactly what you would want out of an island but completely different experiences.
Traveling from Cold to Warm Destinations
When you’re traveling during the winter months packing can get pretty tricky, especially if you’re traveling from somewhere cold to somewhere warm or vice versa. Everyone knows that checked luggage isn’t free so packing right is the key to saving money. This isn’t always easy when you’re packing for two seasons. Below are a few tips to help you:
- Wear Warm Clothes and Pack Lighter Ones – Heavier clothes take up more room and you can always change as soon as you get to where you’re going.
- Leave Your Coat in the Car – Coats take up a lot of space. If you can handle it or if you can be shuttled from your car to the airport leave your coat in the car so you’re not lugging it around.
- Save Space for New Clothes – If you plan on buying some local clothing and wares, be sure to save space for them. Remember you only need what you’re going to actually wear.
- Utilize Your Carry-On – Smaller articles of clothing can be carried in your carry-on luggage, leaving room for purchases and warmer clothes if you do want to bring them for the trip home.
- Layer for the Plane Trip – Although you may not be the most comfortable you can always layer lighter clothes under heavier ones during travel to save space too.
With the chillier seasons right around the corner it’s time to start thinking of warmer places to travel, especially if you are recently married or if you are just looking to take a romantic getaway. Tropical destinations can inspire romance, particularly if you decide to go on the spur of the moment.
Contact Romance Journeys to help make your vacation destination dreams come true!