Choosing a Destination with the Best Festivals
Despite being a busier month to travel there is something to be said for vacationing in June. Not only is the weather fantastic in many tourist destinations throughout the world but it is also the beginning of festival season in many areas as well. The opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors adds to the list of unique travel experiences available to you during this particular time of year. The options are endless so where do you start??
The first thing you should do is decide what type of adventure you’re looking for. Do you want to enjoy the beautiful weather or do you want to experience a vibrant nightlife with lots of unique festival venues? Would you rather spend your time viewing artistic works or listening to musical performances? Once you figure this out you can explore the many destinations that might suit your festival vacation dreams. An idea of what is out there will help in making that ultimate decision.
Festival Season in Full Swing
Some cities are just known for their seemingly endless festival season, which for the following places just so happens to be the summer months, with plenty of the best taking place in June. It’s the perfect time to get out and experience the great outdoors, along with a little culture. Ask your travel agent about any of the following destinations if you’re looking for a dream festival season vacation….
New York, U.S. – In New York City June is only the beginning of a festival-filled summer but they know how to kick of the festival season right. June is filled with all kinds of great events worth attending, some that last the whole month. A few you might want to consider:
- HBO Bryant Park Summer Film Festival – Starting June 18th this year, the festival is all about movies in the park. Featuring a different movie every night played on a big screen, along with multiple food and beverage vendors, it’s the perfect way to spend an evening in New York.
- NYC Pride – From about June 15th to the 24th New York City celebrates the diversity that makes it the progressive city that it is with the NYC Pride Festival. The culminating event is a march on the last date but there are many events held throughout the 10-day period and much fun to be had while celebrating the differences that make us so special.
- Shakespeare in the Park – For the Shakespeare lover June is the perfect month to visit New York. This free festival gives visitors the opportunity to experience some of the best plays written by the playwright, this year June’s feature will be Othello. Performances start at 8:00 PM in the Delacorte outdoor theater.
Krakow, Poland – June in Krakow, Poland is full of cultural festivals worth attending. The city celebrates its diversity with music, art, film, and food and any of the festivals will provide you with a unique cultural experience.
- Krakow Film Festival – If you visit Krakow the first few days of June you can catch the tail end of the annual Film Festival. Over 250 films are featured over the 8-day period, along with workshops, exhibitions, concerts, and other events.
- International Summer Organ Concert Festival – If you love organ music Krakow is the place to be in June. The festival features concerts throughout the city at various halls and churches that feature the sound of church organs.
- Jewish Culture Festival – In June you can also take the opportunity to celebrate Jewish heritage by visiting during the Jewish Cultural Festival. Explore Jewish art, music, food and more during this week-long festival that ends with a huge party on the famous Szeroka Street.
Barcelona, Spain – In Barcelona festivals, or fiestas, are a very common occurrence and the busiest festival season is the summer. June sets the season off, starting with a few very popular events.
- Sonar Festival – There are many kinds of festivals and although the Sonar festival might not be for everyone it is a very much-loved event for many. The electronic music festival is one of the most impressive of its kind, with the bulk of it playing out in the La Fira Montjuic but happenings taking place throughout the city.
- Grec Festival – If you love dance, music, theater and everything in between a visit to Barcelona during the Grec Festival will afford you the opportunity to enjoy a little bit of it all. Held at multiple venues throughout the city, it will also allow you to see much of what the city has to offer.
- Primavera Sound Festival – The Primavera Sound Festival is another popular music festival held in June with many acts you may have heard of in most years. See performers like The Cure and Radiohead alongside newer bands and performers in a spectacular outdoor venue.
There are all types of festivals held throughout the world that will allow you to explore art, music, culture and so much more. June is the perfect time to travel if this is something you want to experience but also because the weather is fantastic and the entertainment is endless. Whether you just want to book a quick weekend getaway or spend a week exploring somewhere you have always wanted to see, contact your travel agent and book your next special experience.